Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Would like to share this doughnut recipe with you guys. It looks simple enough, even for me!!
Prep: 30 mins ; Chill : 2 hrs ; Fry : 2 mins per batch
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. shortening(butter, margerine) , melted
1 tsp. vanilla
Cooking oil for deep frying
Sifted powdered (icing) sugar (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, combine eggs and granulated sugar; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes or until thick.
3. In another bowl, stir together milk, shortening, and vanilla.
4. Beat item 2 at low speed (just to combine), after each addition of item 1 and item 3, alternately.
5. Stir in remaining flour mixture by hand. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and chill dough for 2 hrs.
6. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
7. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts.
8. Reroll remaining dough as necessary
9. Fry 2 or 3 doughnuts in deep, hot cooking oil (375F) for about 1 min. each side, turning once. Removing with slotted spoon.
10.Drain on wire rack covered with paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough.
11. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in Chocolate Glaze. If desired, place cooled glazed doughnuts on waxed paper and drizzle with Cocoa Icing.
12. Or, dust plain doughnuts with powdered sugar. Makes 12 doughnuts and "holes".
Chocolate Glaze - Ingredients :
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 Tbsp. margarine or butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 - 4 Tbsp. warm water
1. In a soucepan melt chocolate, and butter over low heat
2. Remove from heat, stir in powdered sugar and vanilla
3. Stir in warm water until glaze coats back of spoon
Cocoa Icing - Ingredients :
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tsp softened margerine or butter
2 -3 Tbsp warm water
1. In a small bowl, stir powdered sugar, cocoa powder and butter
2. Stir in warm water until icing is of drizzling consistency.
Have FUN !